Sunday, April 25, 2010

In memory of daddy



 Joseph Mitchell Olsen, PhD, 66, of Mobile, Alabama, passed away on April 17, 2010 of pancreatic cancer.  He was born November 22, 1943, in Salt Lake City, UT to Maxwell Bernard Olsen, Sr. and Sarah Henderson Mitchell Olsen.  He grew up in Sugar House, UT and attended South High School where he ran track.  During his schooling at M.I.T. he took 2 ½ years off to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Spanish speaking Spanish-American Mission, headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.  On returning from his mission he completed his undergraduate degree at M.I.T., after which he entered the army’s Officer Candidate School where he earned his commission of second Lieutenant.  While stationed in Boston with the Army Corps of Engineers he met the love of his life, O’Linn, at a church function.  They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on September 12, 1969.  After completing his army commitment as a Captain, he returned to Boston and M.I.T. to continue his graduate studies.  He completed both a Master’s degree and a PhD in Civil Engineering.  In 1976, he accepted a job as an assistant professor at the University of Utah where he enjoyed 11 years of professional growth.  In 1987, he accepted a position as professor and chairman of the Civil Engineering department at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, with the principle assignment of earning ABET accreditation for the department.  The department was successfully accredited under his stewardship in 1991. He continued to serve as chairman of the department for 18 years, when he then stepped down, but continued to teach as a full professor until his death.  Over the course of his tenure at South Alabama he greatly enjoyed working with administration, faculty, staff, and students alike. He was a member of the Order of the Engineer, a member of ASCE, and an avid Boston Red Sox fan.  Throughout his life he served in and enjoyed many and varied callings in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, including branch president, bishopric counselor, bishop, high councilor and member of the Stake Presidency.  However, he most enjoyed teaching gospel doctrine and being an ordinance worker in the Jordan River Temple.  He is survived by his wife of 40 years, O’Linn Lohmoelder Olsen; 4 children:  Karen Rasmussen (Kendall) of Doha, Qatar; Meredith Ohran (Michael) of Orem, UT; Matthew Olsen (Emily Fullmer) of Raleigh, NC; Melissa Resch (Ned) of Ann Arbor, MI; 14 grandchildren: Jeremy Rasmussen (16), Marissa Ohran (13), Austin Rasmussen (13), Annika Ohran (10), Morgan Rasmussen (9), Connor Ohran (8), Rebekah Olsen (7), Eric Rasmussen (7), Kate Olsen (6), Bronson Ohran (5), Lucas Resch (2), Benjamin Olsen (2), Zander Ohran (2), and Baby Girl Resch, due in August; a brother, Maxwell B. Olsen, Jr. (Elma) of American Fork, UT; and 3 sisters, Louise O. Baird of Provo, UT, Sally Barfuss (Joe) of Midvale, UT, and Mary Anderson of South Jordan, UT.  Funeral services were held in Mobile, AL.  Interment will be Wednesday, April 28, 2010, at 11:00 AM at the Brigham City Cemetery.  Family and friends are invited to attend.  In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the U.S.A. –Professor Joseph Olsen Fund, Civil Engineering at U.S.A., 307 University Boulevard, EGCB108, Mobile, AL 36688

9 comments:

Jamie said...

I didn't realize what an amazing man your dad was. He sure accomplished a lot!!!! I love that his obituary mentioned your baby girl... that was very sweet!
Your family has been heavy on our minds, and in our prayers! Let us know what we can do ~
We sure love you Mis!!!!

LuAnn said...

It was so nice to read about your dad and learn more about him. What an accomplished man and an inspiration for his posterity. I hope everything goes well with the services.

Mardee Rae said...

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sure the services will be wonderful. You'll be in our prayers.

RecipeNut said...

Melissa, I was sad to read that your dad had already passed, I'm so sorry. I really enjoyed reading and learning a little more about him and your family. I remember meeting him once when they came to visit you in Provo. What a nice father AND mother you have! You're in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for peace for you and your family. LOVE and miss you! Thanks for being a good friend and roommate :) I think we got through some interesting times together! And congratulations with your baby girl! She's going to be so much fun :)

Robyn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute to your dad. He sounds like a wonderful man. You're in our prayers.

Whitney said...

Just thinking about you ... hope you're hanging in there and doing ok!! lovies, whit

Hoagland Family said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. He was such an accomplished man. I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Hoagland Family said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. He was such an accomplished man. I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Kellie Jean said...

Melissa, I am sorry to hear about your Father. Your family will be in our prayers. Having the Gospel is really nice, but I know it is still hard.
Kellie